Your Roof in a Storm: How You Can Protect One of Your Home’s Most Valuable Assets
A roof is a major investment, which is why you want it to last for as long as it can. Unfortunately, as those of us in Southern Ontario know all too well based on our experiences during the spring of 2018, sometimes Mother Nature has other plans.
Keep reading to learn what you can do as a homeowner to storm-proof your roof:
3 Actions You Can Take to Protect Your Roof from Storms
1. Trim Trees Away from Your Roof
One of the biggest problems for roofs during a severe weather event tends to be falling and airborne debris from nearby objects, especially trees. Although a twig or branch that blows across your shingles might not present any issues; a larger limb—even the entire trunk itself—can cause catastrophic damage to your roof and home.
As part of your home maintenance regimen, you should keep your trees cut back at least six feet from your home.
2. Inspect for Pre-Existing Leaks
If there’s one thing storms excel at, it’s making the most of an unfixed flaw like a leak.
The best way to check for leaks is to head up to your attic and look for telltale signs like water spots or stains. If you don’t see anything but suspect there’s still a problem, you might be able to ask a family member or friend to go outside and imitate rain on the roof using a garden hose.
Unsure what actions to take when inspecting your roof after a severe storm? Check out our blog to learn more.
3. Perform Regular Roof Checkups
Leaks aren’t the only weak spots a storm can aggravate. Loose shingles or inadequate waterproofing can also fall victim to Mother Nature’s whims.
When doing an exterior inspection of your roof, keep an eye out for:
- Missing or damaged shingles.
- Compromised underlayment or sealant.
- Loose, faulty, or absent nails.
- Visible rust on components like flashings.
- Worn or cracked boots around vents and pipes.
Is a fall roofing checkup on your to-do list? Check out our infographic to learn what you need to look for!
Why the Right Installation Matters
Although maintaining and inspecting your roof on a regular basis is no doubt important, a healthy and storm-resistant roof starts with the right installation. Even with the best materials, if nails are driven too tightly or sealant isn’t properly applied your roof could be left vulnerable.
As you’re assessing a roofer’s material and workmanship standards, make sure you consider:
- The quality of the materials installed. What are their fire ratings and expected lifespans? Will they be durable enough to stand up against Mother Nature?
- The quality of the workmanship. How many nails do they use per shingle, and do they drive them correctly? Will they use steel in the valleys? Do they install new flashings or reuse old ones? Have they talked to you about the importance of attic insulation?
- The legacy of the company. How long have they been in business? Do they have a physical address? What have past customers had to say about their work?
Ensuring your roof is installed by proven professionals with the highest quality materials will give you peace of mind knowing it’s ready to handle whatever the next storm might have in store for it.
Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing has been providing quality roof replacements and repairs since 1964. We stand behind our workmanship and are committed to delivering superior results using the best materials. Contact us today to schedule your in-home consultation!
Like this? You might also like:
- What to Look for When Inspecting Your Roof After a Severe Storm
- Beware of This Common Roofing Scam – Lowest Bid
- Avoid These 5 Mistakes When Choosing a Roofer
- How to Get Financial Assistance for a Roof Replacement - February 26, 2020
- Merry Christmas from Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing - December 18, 2019
- Why is My Roof Leaking? - October 28, 2019
- Herb Lodde & Sons Is Proud to Be Baeumler Approved - August 19, 2019
- Does a New Roof Add Value to Your Home? - July 9, 2019
- Herb Lodde & Sons Wins 2019 Best of Award in Roofing from HomeStars! - March 13, 2019
- What You Need to Know about Winter Roof Replacements - February 7, 2019
- Merry Christmas from the Team at Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing - December 19, 2018
- Common Winter Roofing Problems: How You Can Identify, Fix, and Avoid Them - December 13, 2018
- Your Roof in a Storm: How You Can Protect One of Your Home’s Most Valuable Assets - October 17, 2018
IS THERE SOMETHING YOU WOULD LIKE TO READ ABOUT?
Fill out the form on our request page to let us know questions you would like answered or topics you would like to read about!Submit Your Ideas