Frequently Asked Questions
About Roofing & Siding
How do I know when my roof needs to be replaced?
Here are some of the key signs that it’s time to replace your roof:
- Roof is reaching the end of its lifespan (will vary depending on the type of roof).
- Ceilings and/or walls are showing signs of water damage.
- Shingles are curled or buckling.
- Shingles are missing.
- Eavestrough has large amounts of shingle granules.
Why do you recommend an ice and water shield?
An ice and water shield is exactly what it sounds like! It’s a shield to guard against areas that are leak-prone, such as eaves, valleys, chimney flashings, and skylight flashings.
We recommend that an ice and water shield be installed in each of these places to protect your roof from ice dams and wind-driven rain. For extra protection, we go 6 ft at the eaves with ice and water.
Why do you recommend underlayments?
Whether you decide on a traditional (felt) underlay or synthetic underlay, both are beneficial for adding that extra layer of protection for your roof deck. Each one will protect the roof deck from water penetration due to blow offs or wind-driven rain. Underlays will also protect the shingles from resins that can bleed through the plywood.
How many layers of shingles can I have?
While no law exists that prohibits having two layers of shingles, we do not recommend it.
The savings of putting new shingles over the first layer of shingles are negated by the consequences. Adding more weight to your roof deck affects the structure, limits the lifetime of the shingles, and prevents your roofing contractor from identifying problem areas.
My roof is leaking when it isn’t raining. What could be the problem?
When your roof leaks but it’s not raining, your ventilation is causing the problem. Roofs will condensate without proper air flow.
For example, Mansard roofs are known to condensate because of poor airflow in the walls.
How long will a tarp hold?
A properly installed tarp can last up to 90 days. A tarp is not a permanent solution, but can help protect your property until the professionals can get the roof done.
If your roof is leaking and we are unable to get to your project right away, we will install a tarp for you at no charge.
How many vents should I have installed on my roof?
Typically, you should have one vent per 300 sq ft of roof.
How do you know if you must replace the plywood on my roof?
We have many ways to assess the probability of your roof needing to have the roof deck plywood replaced.
During an attic inspection, we will determine the presence of any of the following:
- Gaps in the boards
- Broken trusses
Having numerous shingle layers can also increase the probability of your roof deck needing replacement.
If we find these signs, your roof deck likely needs to be replaced.
Why don’t you price match?
We are often approached with the question of whether we will match the price of another roofing quote. There are a few reasons why we do not do this:
- We take the time to go on your roof and measure the area to be completed. If another competitor does not do the same or comes up with a totally different measurement, then we have two very different proposals.
- We believe that in order for us to provide you with the very best manufacturer and labour warranties, there is a certain way for the job to be done.
- Our prices can’t compete with the guy who will do your job for cash and offer no invoice or warranty. We offer our clients: two showrooms to visit, numerous employees to help with each stage of your job, proper insurance, and up to date WSIB certificates.
How long does the average roofing replacement job take to be completed?
A typical roof takes 1-2 days to complete. However, certain factors can prolong a job, such as weather or unforeseen conditions of the roof deck.
We do not pride ourselves on how quickly we can finish your roof. We take greater pride in providing quality workmanship (in a timely manner).