What Should I Do If My Roof Is Sagging?
Can you see a noticeable sagging in your roof?
If you can, that means your roof is in some trouble. Sagging is pretty severe damage, and it means the roof is not doing its job properly.
Why Is My Roof Sagging?
A bunch of different issues can potentially be at the root of your sagging roof problems.
Here are some of the most common ones:
- Ice or snow buildup
- Water damage
- Wind damage
- Too many layers of shingles (this is why we never recommend adding new shingles over old ones!)
- Improper design
- Improper construction or installation (e.g. bad framing)
- Modifications without a permit
- Roof support failure
- House foundation failure
All of these issues boil down to the roof bearing too much weight for the existing structure. It can start as predominantly a weight problem (e.g. extra shingles) or a structural problem (e.g. water damage), but over time one major problem is created: a sagging roof.
What You Should Do If Your Roof Is Sagging
A sagging roof is one of the most serious signs of roof failure. To be safe, you will want to have a professional residential roofing contractor or structural engineer take a look.
The expert should be able to inspect your roof and explain to you what the problem is. From there, you’ll be able to decide the best next step.
In some cases, it might be a basic fix that some DIYers can handle on their own. However, if the damage is extensive or complicated, you’ll need to bring in a professional to ensure your roof is repaired safely and properly.
>> Get in touch with us at Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing for roof inspections to determine the extent of any damage. Our expert roofers will be happy to provide the repairs or roof replacements you need to ensure your home’s structural integrity.
Serving homeowners in Oakville, Burlington, Hamilton, St. Catharines, and the Niagara region.
Like this? You might also like:
- Do I Need a Roof Replacement? 10 Failing Roof Signs Homeowners Need to Know
- How Can I Prevent and Remove Damaging Ice Dams on My Roof?
- Know Your Rights before Signing with a Roofing Contractor in Ontario [Video]
- Herb Lodde & Sons Is Proud to Be Baeumler Approved - August 19, 2019
- Does a New Roof Add Value to Your Home? - July 9, 2019
- Herb Lodde & Sons Wins 2019 Best of Award in Roofing from HomeStars! - March 13, 2019
- What You Need to Know about Winter Roof Replacements - February 7, 2019
- Merry Christmas from the Team at Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing - December 19, 2018
- Common Winter Roofing Problems: How You Can Identify, Fix, and Avoid Them - December 13, 2018
- Your Roof in a Storm: How You Can Protect One of Your Home’s Most Valuable Assets - October 17, 2018
- Shingle Warranties Explained - August 31, 2018
- When Is the Right Time to Replace a Roof in Canada - June 22, 2018
- Have You Crossed “Inspect the Roof” Off Your Spring To-Do List? - May 18, 2018
IS THERE SOMETHING YOU WOULD LIKE TO READ ABOUT?
Fill out the form on our request page to let us know questions you would like answered or topics you would like to read about!Submit Your Ideas