What Are the Pros and Cons of Cedar Roofing?
Are you considering cedar roofing for your home?
Cedar shakes and shingles are a truly beautiful option, enhancing the aesthetic appeal of any home. Depending on the style and type of cedar roofing you choose, you can give your home the feel of a rustic cottage or an elegant chalet.
Either way, cedar roofing is one of the most desired types of roof – to the point where some other types of roofing try to imitate cedar to get the same look! Although often mimicked, true cedar roofing cannot be matched.
If you’re deciding whether cedar is right for you, you will want to take into account its advantages and disadvantages before making your final decision.
- Beautiful Appearance
Cedar wood roofing is one of the most attractive types of roofing. It will enhance the curb appeal, and therefore the value, of your home. Cedar shingles or shakes will add beauty and sophistication to any home.
- Excellent Thermal Insulation
You can reduce energy costs with a cedar roof replacement. Cedar is naturally insulating – providing up to twice the insulation as asphalt shingles! You’ll be able to conserve heating and cooling energy and save on your bills.
- Storm and Weather Resistant
Cedar shingles and shakes resist strong winds, heavy rain, hail, snowstorms, and other severe weather. You will have fewer repairs and replacements after a storm with cedar roofing. They can also be installed at any time of the year as they don’t rely on sealants to keep them in place.
- Long Lasting
Finally, the cedar wood material is durable and strong. These roofs typically last about 20-30 years in our Ontario climate, with proper maintenance.
They also have an impressive strength-to-weight ratio that keeps them lying flat and straight over time.
Cedar Roofing Cons
- More Expensive
Higher quality means higher cost. Cedar roofs cost more because they are a higher-end roofing material. Cedar offers superior appearance and performance to many other types of roofing. It is an investment in your home.
- Need Regular Maintenance
Cedar roofing will last a long time – if you properly maintain it. All types of roofs require some maintenance to ensure their longevity, but cedar roofing requires more than is typical.
Keep leaves and debris off of the roof and reduce moss by cutting back or removing nearby trees. With regular maintenance, you’ll prevent moss, mildew, and mold growth.
Of course, you don’t need to do the maintenance yourself if you don’t want to. Most roofing companies that offer cedar roofing replacements and repairs will be happy to provide your roof with the maintenance it needs.
Many homeowners decide the pros outweigh the cons when it comes to cedar roofing. However, it’s up to you to determine what is best for your specific home and needs. If you’re not sure, you can always seek the advice of professional roofing contractors!
>> Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing can help you decide of cedar roofing is right for you. If you’ve already decided you want cedar roofing, don’t hesitate to contact us for a free estimate!
Like this? You might also like:
- 3-Tab Shingles vs. Laminate Shingles
- I’m Moving Soon! Should I Redo My Roof for Resale Value?
- Don’t Get Scammed! Follow These 9 Tips when Hiring a Residential Roofing Contractor in Ontario
- Herb Lodde & Sons Is Proud to Be Baeumler Approved - August 19, 2019
- Does a New Roof Add Value to Your Home? - July 9, 2019
- Herb Lodde & Sons Wins 2019 Best of Award in Roofing from HomeStars! - March 13, 2019
- What You Need to Know about Winter Roof Replacements - February 7, 2019
- Merry Christmas from the Team at Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing - December 19, 2018
- Common Winter Roofing Problems: How You Can Identify, Fix, and Avoid Them - December 13, 2018
- Your Roof in a Storm: How You Can Protect One of Your Home’s Most Valuable Assets - October 17, 2018
- Shingle Warranties Explained - August 31, 2018
- When Is the Right Time to Replace a Roof in Canada - June 22, 2018
- Have You Crossed “Inspect the Roof” Off Your Spring To-Do List? - May 18, 2018
IS THERE SOMETHING YOU WOULD LIKE TO READ ABOUT?
Fill out the form on our request page to let us know questions you would like answered or topics you would like to read about!Submit Your Ideas