What Are the Pros and Cons of 3-Tab Asphalt Shingle Roofing?
3-tab asphalt roofing has been the most popular choice for homeowners in the past, but the tide is now changing.
If you’re looking to replace your roof, we recommend informing yourself about the different options before going ahead. You want to make sure you’re happy with the roof, as it’s an investment that will be with you years into the future.
In this post, we’re going to talk about the advantages and drawbacks of 3-tab asphalt roofing, to help you make the best choice for your roof.
3-Tab Asphalt Roofing Advantages
- Lower initial cost
- Easy to repair
- Many styles and colours available
3-Tab Asphalt Roofing Disadvantages
- Not as resistant against harsh weather as some other roofing types
- Cannot withstand high winds as well as other shingles
- Trapped moisture causes decay and mold
- Needs proper attic ventilation
- Less lifespan than other shingles; shorter warranties
- Generally do not enhance the value of a home significantly – especially on higher quality homes
As you can see, asphalt roofing has a lot of significant cons. Even with proper care and regular maintenance, asphalt roofing will only last about 15 to 20 years (maybe 30 if you live in a good climate)! A roof replacement is a large investment – and you want it to last longer than just 15 years.
Other types of roofing shingles, such as laminated architectural shingles, can last 30 to 50 years. Even though 3-tab shingles have a lower initial cost, you don’t save money in the long run when your roof needs another replacement in the near future.
Typically, we do not recommend 3-tab asphalt roofing to our clients for these reasons.
The real factors you need to think about are: what is most appropriate for your home and needs (which your roofing contractor can help you determine), and what is do-able within your budget?
Asphalt shingles may be economical in the short term, but they aren’t ideal as a long term investment for homeowners that can afford a better quality of shingle.
>> Our experienced roofing contractors can help you decide the best roofing for your home. We serve customers in Oakville, Burlington, Hamilton, St. Catharines, and the Niagara region. Contact us today to talk about your roofing needs.
Like this? You might also like:
- 4 Things You Can Do to Make Sure Your New Roof Won’t Fail - July 21, 2017
- 3 Things Not to Do When Hiring a Roofer - April 13, 2017
- To Repair or Replace Your Roof, That Is the Question - February 27, 2017
- Top 5 Problems for Homeowners and their Roofs during an Unrelenting Winter - February 13, 2017
- How Herb Lodde & Sons Does New Roof Construction and Installation [VIDEO] - January 24, 2017
- Removing Rooftop Ice and Snow with Salt - January 17, 2017
- Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing! - December 20, 2016
- 3 Tips to Help You Get Your Roof Ready for Winter - December 5, 2016
- Your Guide to Finding New Roofing - November 17, 2016
- 5 Tips for Maintaining a Flat or Low-Sloped Roof - October 28, 2016