Top 5 Problems for Homeowners and their Roofs during an Unrelenting Winter
Winter in Southern Ontario is often unpredictable, bringing a blanket of snow one day and a sheet of rain the next. This variability can cause unique challenges for roofs and the homeowners looking after them.
Keep reading to learn the five problems you need to watch for this winter:
1. Leaks around Flashing
Flashings – the metal strips placed at corners, ridges, and edges – can be prone to leaking, especially if they’re damaged during a harsh winter storm.
You should inspect your flashings at least twice per year (particularly after bad storms) to catch and repair flaws early and prevent moisture from seeping in.
2. Cracked and Broken Shingles
It’s not uncommon for shingles to be affected by wintery conditions – whether they’re blown off by a gust of wind or cracked by a falling tree branch. Missing shingles can leave your roof exposed and vulnerable to the elements, which is why it’s crucial you have your roof assessed and repaired promptly.
3. Built-Up Snow and Ice
Problems typically start when you have more than 5cm (2in) of ice or 70cm (2ft) of heavy snow. Snow that’s left to pile up can cause a variety of issues including structural harm, ice dams, or even a full or partial roof collapse.
Keep an eye out for signs of trouble like:
- Evidence of sagging, leaking, or cracking.
- Sounds of popping or cracking.
- Doors that open unexpectedly or stick.
If you suspect your roof is taking on too much strain, it’s time to lighten the load. You can choose to remove excess snow yourself with a specially designed rake, though contacting a professional roofer will be your safest and most effective option.
4. Blocked Attic Vents
Attic vents work to circulate air, minimizing condensation inside your home and reducing the amount of snow and ice that lingers on your roof. During the winter, however, they can become blocked by debris, snow, and ice. Keeping them impediment-free will ensure your attic is well and properly insulated.
5. Ice Dams Forming at the Edge of Your Roof
Ice dams occur when melting snow becomes trapped at your roof’s edge. It then refreezes and causes more ice to accumulate behind it.
Ice dams can cause serious harm if left unattended, warping your shingles and forcing moisture to back up where it’s more likely to leak into your home and harm insulation, ceilings, walls, and even the foundation.
What steps can you take to prevent ice dams? Watch this video to find out!
Have You Started Thinking About a Springtime Maintenance Service for Your Roof?
After a hard winter, your roof might need a little bit of additional TLC:
- Repairing leaks.
- Securing loose flashings.
- Resealing vent stacks.
- Replacing shingles.
- Addressing popped nails.
- Recaulking around chimneys.
- Clearing debris.
If any of these problems sound like ones you’re facing, it’s time to call a roofer. Make sure you choose an experienced professional to inspect your roof and complete any necessary work, ensuring you get the best results and complete satisfaction.
At Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing, we have been providing quality roof replacement and repair services since 1964. Contact us to schedule your free in-home estimate!
Like this? You might also like:
- How Herb Lodde & Sons Does New Roof Construction and Installation [VIDEO]
- Your Guide to Finding New Roofing
- 10 Questions to Ask Your Roofer Before You Hire Them
- Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing! - December 21, 2017
- Thank You for Voting Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing the #1 Roofing Company in St. Catharines! - December 1, 2017
- Get Your Roof Ready for Winter with a Fall Roofing Checkup [Infographic] - November 10, 2017
- How to Choose the Perfect Shingles for Your Roof - September 13, 2017
- How Attic Insulation Keeps Your House Cool Throughout the Summer - August 31, 2017
- 4 Things You Can Do to Make Sure Your New Roof Won’t Fail - July 21, 2017
- 3 Things Not to Do When Hiring a Roofer - April 13, 2017
- To Repair or Replace Your Roof, That Is the Question - February 27, 2017
- Top 5 Problems for Homeowners and their Roofs during an Unrelenting Winter - February 13, 2017
- How Herb Lodde & Sons Does New Roof Construction and Installation [VIDEO] - January 24, 2017