Replacing Your Residential Roof: Roof System Parts [Video]
If you’re about to go through a residential roof replacement, it is valuable to understand the different components that make up your roof.
Before your new roof shingles are installed, there are several layers of the roof that roofing contractors should assess and repair or replace, depending on your specific home’s needs. Your roofer should help guide your decisions about these elements – but if you know a bit about what the roofer is talking about, you will be able to make better decisions for your home.
Here are some components of the roof system you should know:
- Structural Roof Deck: The roof deck is the bottom layer of your roof that supports all of the other elements.
- Underlayment: A weather-proofing layer between the roof deck and the shingles.
- Flashing: A metallic material (typically aluminum or steel) used to provide additional water-proofing and support for the roof around joints such as when two different sections of roof meet, around skylights, or at the chimney base.
- Ventilation: Maintains cool roof temperature to prevent ice dams in the winter and expels hot air from the attic/roof in the summer.
- Shingles: The visible part of your roof which resists the elements and can enhance curb appeal.
We recommend watching the video below from our trusted supplier CertainTeed for a short discussion of these roofing components. You can see in the video what these parts look like as they are installed:
A roof replacement will renew your roof for decades to come if installed by experienced roofers using quality materials.
>> Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing provides full roof replacements and repairs. We offer a 10 year workmanship warranty on all roof replacements! Schedule a free estimate on your roof now.
Serving homeowners in Niagara, St. Catharines, Hamilton, Burlington, and Oakville.
Like this? You might also like:
- Thinking of a Roof Replacement? Fall Is the Right Time!
- Beware of This Common Roofing Scam – The Door-to-Door Roofer
- Does Your Home Have Any of These 5 Common Roofing Problems? [Infographic]
- Herb Lodde & Sons Is Proud to Be Baeumler Approved - August 19, 2019
- Does a New Roof Add Value to Your Home? - July 9, 2019
- Herb Lodde & Sons Wins 2019 Best of Award in Roofing from HomeStars! - March 13, 2019
- What You Need to Know about Winter Roof Replacements - February 7, 2019
- Merry Christmas from the Team at Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing - December 19, 2018
- Common Winter Roofing Problems: How You Can Identify, Fix, and Avoid Them - December 13, 2018
- Your Roof in a Storm: How You Can Protect One of Your Home’s Most Valuable Assets - October 17, 2018
- Shingle Warranties Explained - August 31, 2018
- When Is the Right Time to Replace a Roof in Canada - June 22, 2018
- Have You Crossed “Inspect the Roof” Off Your Spring To-Do List? - May 18, 2018
IS THERE SOMETHING YOU WOULD LIKE TO READ ABOUT?
Fill out the form on our request page to let us know questions you would like answered or topics you would like to read about!Submit Your Ideas