To Repair or Replace Your Roof, That Is the Question
Have you noticed that your shingles are looking a little bit worse for wear? Is there evidence that water has been sneaking into your home, staining your ceilings or causing damage to insulation? Do you suspect that there is – put simply – something wrong with your roof?
If you answered yes, it might be time to for a roof repair or replacement.
Keep reading to learn when and why a roof repair or replacement is the right way to go:
Repairing vs. Replacing Your Roof
A roof repair is typically sufficient for fixing isolated issues like blown off or torn shingles, cracked flashings, or localized damage caused by animals. A roof replacement is the best way to address more systematic, structural problems.
Signs that a roof replacement might be in order include:
- Shingles that have started to buckle or curl, making your roof more prone to leakage.
- An accumulation of shingle granules in your eavestroughs, especially with older roofs that are shedding excessively.
- Faulty shingle tabs, which are responsible for keeping your shingles securely on your roof.
- Noticeable sagging, a symptom letting you know there might be deeper structural flaws with decking in your attic or supports in your foundation.
- Sunlight coming in through your roof. Remember, if sunlight is getting in then so is air, rain, and snow! Inspect for leaks and keep an eye on any you find to determine whether or not they’re still active.
The key to keeping your roof in good health is to assess it routinely and stay on top of small problems as they arise, keeping in check both short- and long-term costs.
Repairing or Replacing Your Roof – Which Is Right?
There are three questions you need to ask yourself when considering a roof repair or replacement:
1. How old is my roof?
Most 3 tab asphalt roofs are designed to last roughly 10 to 15 years. Architectural laminate shingles will last 25 to 35 years, and cedar will likely max out at 25 years.
If you’re encountering problems with a roof that’s already passed its birthday, replacing it now might make the most sense.
2. What is the nature of the damage?
A missing shingle here or a leaking flange there can be easy to fix. Issues that are more widespread however – including shingle-free patches or endemic leakage – can be your signal that a roof replacement will soon be in order.
A partial roof replacement might be possible in some cases (if, for example, only one portion is visibly affected). The viability of this option will depend on the age of your roof and the ability to match new shingles with the existing ones.
3. What are my plans for my home?
Replacing your roof means making a major investment in your home. If you’re already deliberating closely between repairing versus replacing and will be moving soon, you might be able to get away with a more straightforward repair.
Keep in mind, though, that a new roof will likely add value to your home – enhancing its visual appeal, making it more energy efficient, and giving prospective buyers increased confidence in its long-term health.
Are you ready for an expert opinion? A reputable, experienced roofer will work with you to assess your roof and offer advice on the best options. When you decide how you want to proceed, they’ll be able to restore your roof to its glory and ensure it continues to perform at its best.
Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing has been providing quality roof replacement and repair services for more than five decades. Contact us to schedule your free in-home estimate!
Like this? You might also like:
- How Herb Lodde & Sons Does New Roof Construction and Installation [VIDEO]
- Your Guide to Finding New Roofing
- 10 Questions to Ask Your Roofer Before You Hire Them
- Is it Time to Replace Your Roof? - June 22, 2018
- Have You Crossed “Inspect the Roof” Off Your Spring To-Do List? - May 18, 2018
- Inspecting Your Roof for Damage Caused by High Winds - April 5, 2018
- 3 Reasons You Should Spring into Action When Getting a Roofing Estimate - April 4, 2018
- Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing! - December 21, 2017
- Thank You for Voting Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing the #1 Roofing Company in St. Catharines! - December 1, 2017
- Get Your Roof Ready for Winter with a Fall Roofing Checkup [Infographic] - November 10, 2017
- How to Choose the Perfect Shingles for Your Roof - September 13, 2017
- How Attic Insulation Keeps Your House Cool Throughout the Summer - August 31, 2017
- 4 Things You Can Do to Make Sure Your New Roof Won’t Fail - July 21, 2017