Pros and Cons of Winter Roofing
Between heavy snow, ice build ups, and frigid temperatures, winter can be tough on roofs. For many homeowners, the warmer seasons are the most popular times to take care of roof maintenance, repairs, and replacements, but choosing to undertake work on your roof during the winter can have benefits.
We’ve created a list of the pros and cons of winter roofing to help you make an informed decision:
Pros of Winter Roofing
Waiting for Warmer Weather Can Worsen Existing Problems
Have you noticed curling or cracked shingles? Are there icicles hanging from your house? Corrupted shingles can let moisture penetrate your roof, and ice build ups can be a sign that your home is losing heat. Whatever the issue, waiting until spring means taking the risk that the situation will deteriorate.
Even if you’re only able to perform temporary repairs to get you through the winter, undertaking those small, necessary projects is worthwhile to reduce the work that might be required once the snow melts.
A New Roof Means Better Defence from the Elements
A roof on its last legs is less able to stand up to harsh weather. Undertaking a roof replacement can put you at ease and give you the certainty that your new, sturdy roof will handle the demands of winter.
Enjoy Favourable, Seasonal Pricing
For many roofers, winter is an off-peak season. Securing a quote and scheduling springtime work – whether routine repairs or a full roof replacement – a few months early can ultimately save you time and money.
Beware of Too Much Ice and Snow on Your Roof
Is your roof weighed down under a heavy layer of snow? If you notice a significant amount of snow or ice building up, you need to deal with it promptly to prevent your roof being damaged or collapsing.
Guidelines released by the Institute for Business and Home Safety suggest more than four feet of fresh snow, two feet of old snow, and four inches of ice can be dangerous. Attempting to climb your roof to deal with it yourself can be hazardous due to the height and potential for treacherous patches of ice. Call in an expert roofer to guarantee your comfort and safety.
Cons of Winter Roofing
Harsh Winter Weather
Cold snaps, blizzards, and other severe weather can hinder or delay roofing work during the winter. Experienced contractors will know what weather they can and cannot work in, and take all necessary steps to guarantee quality workmanship.
Like humans, roofing tools and materials are sensitive to wintertime conditions. Shingles, for example, will require extra care. Cold temperatures can prevent them from sealing fully, resulting in weak spots where moisture can sneak in. Bad weather and excessive snow might also delay clean up. An experienced roofer will take precautions and make accommodations to ensure a reliable, long-lasting installation.
Watch Out for These Signs of Trouble
As you make your way through winter, keep an eye on your roof. Symptoms of potential problems include:
- Any sagging in your roof
- Cracking, creaking, or popping noises
- Doors popping open
- Doors and windows becoming difficult to open
- Cracks developing in walls
If you see or hear any of these things happening, get your roof inspected right away. Make sure you work with a roofer who has winter roofing experience and will take the time to ensure any repairs or replacements are done right.
Herb Lodde & Sons has been providing professional residential roof inspections, repairs, and replacements, including winter roofing services, for over 50 years. Contact us today to arrange for a free in-home consultation.
Like this? You might also like:
- Is Your Roof Ready for Winter Weather?
- How Can I Prevent and Remove Damaging Ice Dams on My Roof?
- Do I Need a Roof Replacement? 10 Failing Roof Signs Homeowners Need to Know
- Herb Lodde & Sons Wins 2019 Best of Award in Roofing from HomeStars! - March 13, 2019
- What You Need to Know about Winter Roof Replacements - February 7, 2019
- Merry Christmas from the Team at Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing - December 19, 2018
- Common Winter Roofing Problems: How You Can Identify, Fix, and Avoid Them - December 13, 2018
- Your Roof in a Storm: How You Can Protect One of Your Home’s Most Valuable Assets - October 17, 2018
- Shingle Warranties Explained - August 31, 2018
- When Is the Right Time to Replace a Roof in Canada - June 22, 2018
- Have You Crossed “Inspect the Roof” Off Your Spring To-Do List? - May 18, 2018
- Inspecting Your Roof for Damage Caused by High Winds - April 5, 2018
- 3 Reasons You Should Spring into Action When Getting a Roofing Estimate - April 4, 2018
IS THERE SOMETHING YOU WOULD LIKE TO READ ABOUT?
Fill out the form on our request page to let us know questions you would like answered or topics you would like to read about!Submit Your Ideas