Do I Need a Roof Replacement? 10 Failing Roof Signs Homeowners Need to Know
No one wants to admit it’s time to replace their roof. A quality roof replacement with proper installation can be costly, after all.
But your home is one of the most (if not THE most) expensive investments you will make in your life. You need to protect it. Your roof is essential to your home – it must be well-maintained and taken care of.
If your roof is displaying warning signs of failure, a professional residential roofer should look at it right away.
Otherwise, other parts of your home could start to get damaged, like your walls, ceilings, or attic. Left too long, a failing roof even becomes dangerous.
So, what are the top 10 warning signs of a failing roof that you need to be on the lookout for?
1. Sagging Roof
It’s a very bad sign if parts of your roof look like they’re sagging or buckling, even if it’s only a little bit.
2. Damaged Flashing
Flashing is used to join parts of your roof to other parts of your home’s architecture; for example, to a chimney, skylight, or where two different elevations of the roof meet.
If this is damaged or deteriorated, water can leak through and start to damage other parts of your home.
3. Paint Blistering or Peeling
Is the outside or inside paint blistering and/or peeling? This can be caused by poor attic ventilation leading to high temperatures or humidity.
4. Attic Leakage
Do you notice any moisture in the attic?
Make sure to check after storms and throughout the winter; leakage can sometimes be caused by wind-driven rain or ice build-up, respectively.
5. Stains on Ceilings or Walls
If you see stains on the ceilings or walls in your home, you could have a problem with your shingle underlayment or your ventilation. If the damage has reached this far into your home’s interior, the issue has probably been present for a while.
6. Mold or Mildew Growth
Mold or mildew growth under your shingles, in your attic, or on your ceilings is another symptom of roof failure. Like stains, it can be caused by shingle underlayment issues or inadequate ventilation.
7. Exterior Decay of the Sheathing or Siding
Sheathing is a protective layer beneath your home’s roof and siding. If you notice cracking or decay of your home’s sheathing or siding, it has been subjected to too much moisture. Poor attic ventilation can cause this problem.
8. Missing, Cracked, or Curled Shingles
These shingles have reached the end of their days. They’ve also become problem areas on your roof, because they aren’t performing as they should to keep the elements out.
9. Darker Spots on the Roof or Granules in the Gutters
Without their protective granules, shingles don’t last as long and are less protected against strong winds.
You may notice some dark, almost dirty looking, areas on your roof. Old shingles start to lose granules, which causes this effect. You might also see a deposit of granules in your gutters. Depending on the amount, it might signal that it’s time to replace the roof.
10. Major Increase in Energy Costs
Insufficient attic ventilation traps moisture in the attic and condenses it on the rafters. Then, it drips onto the insulation and reduces its effectiveness. With damaged insulation, your heater and air conditioner have to work extra hard to maintain the temperature in your home. … And you’ll see a big increase in energy costs.
Not Sure? Get a Residential Roof Inspection from the Professionals
These problems aren’t necessarily a death toll for your current roof. But they are important warning signs that could mean your roof is starting to fail.
If you notice any of these symptoms, you need an expert to inspect the roof and determine the extent of the damage. They will be able to advise you about whether you need repairs or a roof replacement.
Whatever you do, don’t ignore these warning signs if you see them! The costs you will pay to fix the problem – even if it requires a full-blown roof replacement – are nothing compared to the costs you will pay if your roof fails and more of your home’s infrastructure is damaged.
>> Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing provides professional residential roof inspections, repairs, and replacements. We’ll make sure your roof is safe and secure! Contact us today.
Serving homeowners in Oakville, Burlington, Hamilton, St. Catharines, and the Niagara region.
Like this? You might also like:
- How Can I Prevent and Remove Damaging Ice Dams on My Roof?
- How Can I Find the Leak in My Roof?
- I’m Moving Soon! Should I Redo My Roof for Resale Value?
- How to Get Financial Assistance for a Roof Replacement - February 26, 2020
- Merry Christmas from Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing - December 18, 2019
- Why is My Roof Leaking? - October 28, 2019
- Herb Lodde & Sons Is Proud to Be Baeumler Approved - August 19, 2019
- Does a New Roof Add Value to Your Home? - July 9, 2019
- Herb Lodde & Sons Wins 2019 Best of Award in Roofing from HomeStars! - March 13, 2019
- What You Need to Know about Winter Roof Replacements - February 7, 2019
- Merry Christmas from the Team at Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing - December 19, 2018
- Common Winter Roofing Problems: How You Can Identify, Fix, and Avoid Them - December 13, 2018
- Your Roof in a Storm: How You Can Protect One of Your Home’s Most Valuable Assets - October 17, 2018
IS THERE SOMETHING YOU WOULD LIKE TO READ ABOUT?
Fill out the form on our request page to let us know questions you would like answered or topics you would like to read about!Submit Your Ideas