Is Your Roof Ready for Winter Weather?
The 1998 ice-storm was one of Canada’s most expensive natural disasters, causing $5.4 billion in damages. With winter coming, many people think about getting their homes, and their roofs, ready. Are you one of them?
Spotting Potential Roof Problems
Look for any telltale signs of trouble on your roof. Examine the shingles. Are they buckling, curling, or bare in spots? Corrupted shingles make it easier for water to penetrate the floor deck below. Since roof work is more difficult in the winter, be sure to make any necessary repairs before flurries start to fly.
Remember that it’s not just about what’s on the roof. Look in your eavestroughs for accumulations of asphalt granules. That suggests bare shingles are nearby.
Now is also the time to trim back any overhanging branches that could cause damage later in the winter.
In years past, did you have large ice build-ups? Often caused by clogged gutters or heat loss from faulty attic ventilation, ice dams can lead to extensive damage to the roof.
In getting ready for the colder months ahead, there are some questions you need to ask yourself about your roof and its surroundings:
- Do you notice any damaged (cracked, curled, or missing) shingles?
- Does your roof leak in spots?
- Have you noticed ice build-ups in previous years?
- Is your flashing properly installed and in good condition?
- Have you recently experienced any extreme weather such as hail or strong winds that could have damaged your roof?
- Is your gutter clear of debris and rust?
- Do you have any overhanging branches that could fall in heavy winds and cause damage?
If it is time for a change, there are a few things to consider:
- Ensure the old shingles are removed completely before new ones are installed. Although building codes allow for two layers, doing so places a heavy load on the roof and prevents inspection of the roof deck.
- Don’t skimp on underlayment. Choose a self-adhering ice and water shield, which is a better barrier against water than asphalt paper.
Rest assured, however, that you will be covered if you need roofing services during the winter months. Many homeowners believe that a roof cannot be replaced in the winter. Our services are year round and we take extra precautions to ensure that your roof install is up to our standards no matter what time of year!
When in doubt, get an inspection from a reputable roofing company to find out the health of the roof above your head. This might not be the year for a renovation, but you’ll be ready when the time comes.
Herb Lodde & Sons has been providing professional residential roof inspections, repairs, and replacements for 50 years. Contact us today to schedule a free estimate.
Serving homeowners in St. Catharines, Burlington, Hamilton, Niagara, and Oakville.
Like this? You might also like:
IS THERE SOMETHING YOU WOULD LIKE TO READ ABOUT?
Fill out the form on our request page to let us know questions you would like answered or topics you would like to read about!Submit Your Ideas