I’m Moving Soon! Should I Redo My Roof for Resale Value?
So you’re getting ready to put your house on the market. Moving is a big decision, whether you’re upsizing to fit your growing family, moving to a new city, or looking for somewhere smaller to settle during your retirement.
You want your house to sell for the best possible price – and you’re wondering whether redoing your roof will have a significant impact on the resale value of your home.
Well, one of the most important things that contribute to your home’s value is how well it has been maintained and kept up. Smart home buyers know that a house in good condition will serve them better in the years to come than one that is aesthetically pretty, but full of structural issues.
Fancy upgrades are nothing in the face of making sure the basics are in prime condition. The roof is absolutely one of those essential basics that must be addressed if you want to get top dollar for your property.
How Does a Roof Add Resale Value?
- Typical buyers don’t want to face major renovations or maintenance right off the bat. During the buyer’s home inspection, a roof in need of replacement may cause them to back out of a sale.
- An old roof may turn off buyers by giving them a negative impression of the home’s upkeep.
- A roof in poor repair will bring down your home’s value when it is appraised, as the real estate agent will know can be a sticking point with buyers and set the price accordingly. Buyers may also use it as a reason to negotiate the price even lower.
- A recently replaced roof will help your home achieve the coveted “move-in ready” status.
- Your roof helps your home stand out from neighbouring homes.
- A roof can improve the curb appeal of your home if you choose roofing materials that complement your home’s exterior.
According to Remodeling Magazine, a roofing replacement increases the value of your home during resale by an average of 11.2%. This beats out a bathroom remodel (widely accepted as one of the best renovations to sell your home), which came in at 11.1%. While the data is gathered from home sales in the US, it is similarly applicable here in Canada.
Remember, the roof is an important part of your home’s first impression to potential buyers! One in need of repair – or one that isn’t looking great, even if it’s in good repair – can lower your home’s value.
Whether you need to completely replace your roof, repair a few shingles, or update the gutters and soffits, redoing your roof will help increase the value of your home when you’re ready to sell.
>> Do you want to redo your roof to improve the resale value of your home? We’re experienced roofing contractors with attention to reliability and quality. We offer a 10 year workmanship warranty! Contact us to discuss your roofing needs today.
Serving customers in Burlington, Hamilton, St. Catharines, and Niagara.