How to Choose the Perfect Shingles for Your Roof
A new roof isn’t something you invest in every year, which is why you want to make sure that the one you choose—the shingle type, style, and colour—will be suited to your needs and preferences.
We’ve put together this 3-step guide to help you select the shingles that will be ideal for your home and roof:
1. Choose the Right Type of Shingle
If you prefer an asphalt-based shingle, it’s important to understand the differences between 3-tab and laminate shingles, two of the most popular kinds available for residential homeowners:
- Regular asphalt shingles (otherwise known as “3-tab” shingles) are flat with one shingle tab shape and size. They are lighter than laminate shingles; however the prices are typically comparable and 3-tab shingles are less durable over the long run.
- Architectural or laminate shingles are a type of asphalt shingle, but they’re built with a heavier base mat and a greater number of layers of more refined asphalt. The tabs have different sizes and shapes, which gives them a more dimensional appearance.
At Herb Lodde & Sons, we recommend laminate shingles in almost every case. When we lay out exactly why laminated shingles are superior, it’s not hard for homeowners to see the benefits.
Do you want to find out how 3-tab shingles stack up against laminate in a battle of costs, durability, and appearance? Click here to read more!
2. Select the Style of Shingle and Features That Will Be Best
Factors to take into account include:
- Appearance: How much dimension do you want your shingles to have? Architectural shingles are designed to provide a shadow effect that gives your roof an ultra-dimensional look.
- Algae Defence: If you live in an algae-prone area, look for shingles that feature built-in guards against discolouration.
- Fire Protection: To keep your home and everything in it safe, your shingles should have a Class A fire rating (the most effective against severe exposure)
Don’t forget to think about environmental conditions as well. If you live in an area that tends to get buffered by high winds or dumped with snow, your shingles need to be ready to stand up to the challenges Mother Nature has in store for them.
3. Find the Ideal Colour
After you know the type and style of shingle you want, it’s time to choose the colour. It sounds simple at the start, but don’t be surprised if this is the hardest part of the process:
- Think about Your Home’s Aesthetics: While one type of shingle might work on a Tudor-style home, you might find that it clashes with other fashions (like Ranch or Colonial).
- Don’t Forget Curb Appeal: If you might be selling your home in the next few years, going with a neutral colour for your shingles is a good way to keep your roof current. Don’t be afraid to add some flare with a more striking pallet, though, if that suits your home’s overall personality.
- Survey Your Neighbourhood: Does one of your neighbours have a roof that catches your eye? Ask them what type of shingles they have and who installed them. Knowing what your neighbours have can also make it easier to figure out what unique routes you can take if you want your house to stand out.
Keep in mind that if your home is part of an association, there might be rules in place surrounding appropriate shingle colours.
In addition to speaking with your roofer about what will look best on your home and roof, you can also use online tools like the GAF Style Guide. This tool helps you explore different colour combinations before visualizing them on your own home.
Whatever type and colour of shingles you choose, the key is to find ones that are well matched to your home and will deliver lasting performance for many years to come.
Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing has been providing quality roof replacements and repairs since 1964. We stand behind our workmanship and are committed to delivering superior results using the best materials. Contact us today to schedule your in-home consultation!
Like this? You might also like:
- 3 Things Not to Do When Hiring a Roofer
- To Repair or Replace Your Roof, That is the Question
- 10 Questions to Ask Your Roofer Before You Hire Them
- Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing! - December 21, 2017
- Thank You for Voting Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing the #1 Roofing Company in St. Catharines! - December 1, 2017
- Get Your Roof Ready for Winter with a Fall Roofing Checkup [Infographic] - November 10, 2017
- How to Choose the Perfect Shingles for Your Roof - September 13, 2017
- How Attic Insulation Keeps Your House Cool Throughout the Summer - August 31, 2017
- 4 Things You Can Do to Make Sure Your New Roof Won’t Fail - July 21, 2017
- 3 Things Not to Do When Hiring a Roofer - April 13, 2017
- To Repair or Replace Your Roof, That Is the Question - February 27, 2017
- Top 5 Problems for Homeowners and their Roofs during an Unrelenting Winter - February 13, 2017
- How Herb Lodde & Sons Does New Roof Construction and Installation [VIDEO] - January 24, 2017