How to Choose the Perfect Shingles for Your Roof
A new roof isn’t something you invest in every year, which is why you want to make sure that the one you choose—the shingle type, style, and colour—will be suited to your needs and preferences.
We’ve put together this 3-step guide to help you select the shingles that will be ideal for your home and roof:
1. Choose the Right Type of Shingle
If you prefer an asphalt-based shingle, it’s important to understand the differences between 3-tab and laminate shingles, two of the most popular kinds available for residential homeowners:
- Regular asphalt shingles (otherwise known as “3-tab” shingles) are flat with one shingle tab shape and size. They are lighter than laminate shingles; however the prices are typically comparable and 3-tab shingles are less durable over the long run.
- Architectural or laminate shingles are a type of asphalt shingle, but they’re built with a heavier base mat and a greater number of layers of more refined asphalt. The tabs have different sizes and shapes, which gives them a more dimensional appearance.
At Herb Lodde & Sons, we recommend laminate shingles in almost every case. When we lay out exactly why laminated shingles are superior, it’s not hard for homeowners to see the benefits.
Do you want to find out how 3-tab shingles stack up against laminate in a battle of costs, durability, and appearance? Click here to read more!
2. Select the Style of Shingle and Features That Will Be Best
Factors to take into account include:
- Appearance: How much dimension do you want your shingles to have? Architectural shingles are designed to provide a shadow effect that gives your roof an ultra-dimensional look.
- Algae Defence: If you live in an algae-prone area, look for shingles that feature built-in guards against discolouration.
- Fire Protection: To keep your home and everything in it safe, your shingles should have a Class A fire rating (the most effective against severe exposure)
Don’t forget to think about environmental conditions as well. If you live in an area that tends to get buffered by high winds or dumped with snow, your shingles need to be ready to stand up to the challenges Mother Nature has in store for them.
3. Find the Ideal Colour
After you know the type and style of shingle you want, it’s time to choose the colour. It sounds simple at the start, but don’t be surprised if this is the hardest part of the process:
- Think about Your Home’s Aesthetics: While one type of shingle might work on a Tudor-style home, you might find that it clashes with other fashions (like Ranch or Colonial).
- Don’t Forget Curb Appeal: If you might be selling your home in the next few years, going with a neutral colour for your shingles is a good way to keep your roof current. Don’t be afraid to add some flare with a more striking pallet, though, if that suits your home’s overall personality.
- Survey Your Neighbourhood: Does one of your neighbours have a roof that catches your eye? Ask them what type of shingles they have and who installed them. Knowing what your neighbours have can also make it easier to figure out what unique routes you can take if you want your house to stand out.
Keep in mind that if your home is part of an association, there might be rules in place surrounding appropriate shingle colours.
In addition to speaking with your roofer about what will look best on your home and roof, you can also use online tools like the GAF Style Guide. This tool helps you explore different colour combinations before visualizing them on your own home.
Whatever type and colour of shingles you choose, the key is to find ones that are well matched to your home and will deliver lasting performance for many years to come.
Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing has been providing quality roof replacements and repairs since 1964. We stand behind our workmanship and are committed to delivering superior results using the best materials. Contact us today to schedule your in-home consultation!
Like this? You might also like:
- 3 Things Not to Do When Hiring a Roofer
- To Repair or Replace Your Roof, That is the Question
- 10 Questions to Ask Your Roofer Before You Hire Them
- Herb Lodde & Sons Is Proud to Be Baeumler Approved - August 19, 2019
- Does a New Roof Add Value to Your Home? - July 9, 2019
- Herb Lodde & Sons Wins 2019 Best of Award in Roofing from HomeStars! - March 13, 2019
- What You Need to Know about Winter Roof Replacements - February 7, 2019
- Merry Christmas from the Team at Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing - December 19, 2018
- Common Winter Roofing Problems: How You Can Identify, Fix, and Avoid Them - December 13, 2018
- Your Roof in a Storm: How You Can Protect One of Your Home’s Most Valuable Assets - October 17, 2018
- Shingle Warranties Explained - August 31, 2018
- When Is the Right Time to Replace a Roof in Canada - June 22, 2018
- Have You Crossed “Inspect the Roof” Off Your Spring To-Do List? - May 18, 2018
IS THERE SOMETHING YOU WOULD LIKE TO READ ABOUT?
Fill out the form on our request page to let us know questions you would like answered or topics you would like to read about!Submit Your Ideas