Don’t Get Scammed! Follow These 9 Tips when Hiring a Residential Roofer in Ontario
Is it time to replace your roof? Or maybe you just need repairs?
No matter what you need, you want a reliable roofer to do the job.
Unfortunately, there are too many so-called roofers out there who are actually ‘fly by nighters’ that will try to scam you and take your money. Especially after a bout of bad weather, these con artists will promise to fix your roof before taking your deposit and skipping town.
Even among reputable contractors, you can find differences in quality and workmanship. Taking the time to vet potential contractors ahead of time can make a big difference in your roof, which is one part of your home you definitely want done right.
Choosing a roofing contractor doesn’t have to be overwhelming. To help homeowners find a legitimate residential roofing company, the Better Business Bureau (BBB) provides some valuable tips.
“Never pay for a job up front; never sign anything until you are ready to hire a contractor, read and get a copy of anything you do sign,” says Steve Abel, President of the BBB.
9 Tips for Hiring a Legitimate Roofing Company
- Get a business card and find out the location of the company’s physical office.
- Find out how long the company has been in business – roofers who have been in the business for a long time are more experienced and aren’t looking to scam anyone.
- Ask to see the company’s business licence, roofing credentials, worker’s compensation insurance, general liability insurance, and written manufacturer warranties. You want to make sure the company is fully licenced and insured.
- Get a written estimate from each contractor you’re considering (be sure to ask if there’s a charge for the estimate beforehand) and ask for an explanation for any price discrepancies. Remember that cheaper estimates are not automatically the best option – there is a reason they’re cheaper.
- Get a written description of all work to be done, including which materials they will use and a timeline for completion.
- If you can, get references and talk to previous customers.
- Do not fall for high pressure sales techniques, such as a price estimate that is “only good for today”.
- Do not pay in advance. Most reputable roofers will not ask for more than a 1/3 deposit for work to be completed.
- Look the company up on the BBB website or contact the BBB to get a reliability report.
Don’t rush into choosing a roofing contractor – make sure you take the time to thoroughly check out the business beforehand.
If you follow these tips, you will find a residential roofing contractor that you can trust to get the job done (and done to the level of quality you expect, too).
Here at Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing, we’ve been a BBB accredited business since 2003. We have an A+ rating, which is the highest grade the BBB offers. You can look us up on the BBB by clicking here.
>> We pride ourselves on our high quality workmanship, customer service, and reliability. We offer a 10 year workmanship warranty on all roof replacements. If you need a roof replacement or repair, don’t hesitate to contact us now.
Serving homeowners in Hamilton, Burlington, Oakville, St. Catharines, and Niagara.
Like this? You might also like:
- I’m Moving! Should I Redo My Roof for Resale Value?
- Why Is My Roof Leaking?
- What Are the Pros and Cons of Asphalt Shingle Roofing?
- Is it Time to Replace Your Roof? - June 22, 2018
- Have You Crossed “Inspect the Roof” Off Your Spring To-Do List? - May 18, 2018
- Inspecting Your Roof for Damage Caused by High Winds - April 5, 2018
- 3 Reasons You Should Spring into Action When Getting a Roofing Estimate - April 4, 2018
- Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing! - December 21, 2017
- Thank You for Voting Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing the #1 Roofing Company in St. Catharines! - December 1, 2017
- Get Your Roof Ready for Winter with a Fall Roofing Checkup [Infographic] - November 10, 2017
- How to Choose the Perfect Shingles for Your Roof - September 13, 2017
- How Attic Insulation Keeps Your House Cool Throughout the Summer - August 31, 2017
- 4 Things You Can Do to Make Sure Your New Roof Won’t Fail - July 21, 2017