Does a New Roof Add Value to Your Home?
When deciding whether or not to replace their roof, homeowners have a lot of options to consider. What type of roofing will be best? What colour of shingle should they choose? But for people preparing to sell their home, there’s another question usually top of mind—is a new roof worth the investment?
Here, we take a closer look at the value a new roof can add when it comes time to put your home on the market. Keep reading to learn more!
Is a New Roof Worth It?
Every year, Remodeling Magazine puts together a study comparing the cost for 22 types of home improvement projects with the value they each retain when the house is sold. Though the data is gathered for the US specifically, it’s not unrealistic to assume trends would be similar in Canada.
So how does a new roof stack up?
According to the 2019 numbers, replacing a roof would increase the home’s resale value by more than $15,000 USD (or $20,000 CAD). Homeowners recouped more than 60% of their costs, making a new roof better investment than other popular pre-sale renovation projects including kitchen and bathroom remodels.
If I Sell My Home, What Happens to My Shingle Warranties?
Shingle warranties may be transferrable between homeowners, but you should always read the fine print to carefully understand any limitations or requirements. To learn more about shingle warranties, you can check out our previous blog on the subject.
What Are the Benefits of Installing a New Roof?
Beyond improving the resale value of your home, other benefits of replacing your roof before selling your home include:
- Modernizing its appearance with new and stylish roofing materials.
- Extending warranties so new owners will enjoy the same peace of mind you do.
- Simplifying the inspection process by avoiding objections and challenges from inspectors. Upgrading its energy efficiency, keeping usage and bills in check year-round.
If you do decide that now is the right time for a roof replacement, make sure you work with a roofer dedicated to quality workmanship so you can feel confident knowing the investment you have made in your home is worthwhile.
Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing has been providing quality roof replacements and repairs since 1964. We stand behind our workmanship and are committed to delivering superior results using the best materials. Contact us today to schedule your in-home consultation!
Like this? You might also like:
- Top 5 Spring Maintenance Tips for Your Residential Roof
- 3-Tab Shingles vs. Laminate Shingles
- 10 Questions to Ask Your Roofer Before You Hire Them 10 Questions to Ask Your Roofer Before You Hire Them
- Merry Christmas from Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing - December 18, 2019
- Why is My Roof Leaking? - October 28, 2019
- Herb Lodde & Sons Is Proud to Be Baeumler Approved - August 19, 2019
- Does a New Roof Add Value to Your Home? - July 9, 2019
- Herb Lodde & Sons Wins 2019 Best of Award in Roofing from HomeStars! - March 13, 2019
- What You Need to Know about Winter Roof Replacements - February 7, 2019
- Merry Christmas from the Team at Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing - December 19, 2018
- Common Winter Roofing Problems: How You Can Identify, Fix, and Avoid Them - December 13, 2018
- Your Roof in a Storm: How You Can Protect One of Your Home’s Most Valuable Assets - October 17, 2018
- Shingle Warranties Explained - August 31, 2018
IS THERE SOMETHING YOU WOULD LIKE TO READ ABOUT?
Fill out the form on our request page to let us know questions you would like answered or topics you would like to read about!Submit Your Ideas