Beware of This Common Roofing Scam – Roofer Who Shows Up after a Storm
Are you aware of the common roofing scams that many people fall victim to every year?
Your roof is one of the most important parts of your home – it keeps the elements out, it keeps your home’s structure intact, and it protects the things that matter most.
Whether you need a full roof replacement or just repairs after a storm, you’ll want to find a reliable roofing contractor who will do the job with care and attention to detail.
The unfortunate reality is that while most roofing contractors are honest and dependable, there will always be those looking to take advantage of unsuspecting homeowners. These scam artists, or ‘fly by nighters’, want nothing more than to take your money (and your neighbours’ money, too) and get out of town.
One of the common red flags you need to be on the lookout for is when a roofer or roofing company approaches you after a recent bad storm in your area.
These scamsters are known as “storm chasers”.
How the Scam Works
Storm chaser roofers travel from city to city, going wherever serious storms have passed through. They know that roofs can be damaged in severe storms, so they follow the storms to take advantage of homeowners.
Much like the door-to-door roofer, they will often simply show up at your home. They may offer a free roof inspection or an unbelievable deal like a free roof replacement.
Remember: if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!
If you hire this contractor to repair or replace your roof, they will take the money provided by your insurance company and do the bare minimum to replace your roof cheaply.
That means you will think you’re getting a full roof replacement, which would entail a brand new roof with all problems solved. However, what you are really getting is a cheap job that doesn’t actually address any underlying issues with your roof.
You won’t get a quality roof with quality workmanship, so you can expect to have more problems down the road.
When you experience problems with the roof (maybe 5 years later), the roofing contractor is nowhere to be found. You’re stuck with a shoddy roof and you’ll have to foot the bill for repairs or a whole new replacement.
Some storm chasers aren’t even licensed roofers, don’t have the proper liability insurance, and aren’t covered by worker’s compensation insurance!
How to Protect Yourself from This Scam
Like the other scams we’ve discussed, it’s not too hard to avoid this scam.
You should thoroughly check up on any roofer who shows up at your door without an invitation – especially after a storm. Don’t sign anything or agree to put any money down until after you’ve done your due diligence, even if they are telling you it’s a “limited-time offer” or using other high pressure sales tactics.
Find out where the roofer’s physical location is. Do they have one in your area? Do they have one at all? You need to know where you can go to find them, should anything go wrong with your roof in the future. As we’ve said before, they’re unlikely to go poof if they’re a long-standing local company!
Ask to see their credentials. They should have proper documentation of their legitimacy. Find out if they’re accredited on the Better Business Bureau.
Important Advice: Do not let them on your roof (not even for a free inspection) until after you are convinced of their legitimacy! Some of these scammers may deliberately cause damage during their “inspection” to convince you that you need the repairs in the first place.
>> We’re trusted roofers with over 50 years of experience in Ontario. Quality, dependable roofing and customer satisfaction are our most important values. Get a free estimate on roof replacements.
Serving homeowners in Oakville, Burlington, Hamilton, St. Catharines, and the Niagara region.
Like this? You might also like:
- Beware of This Common Roofing Scam – The Door-to-Door Roofer
- Beware of This Common Roofing Scam – A Large Deposit (Or Entire Payment!) Before the Roof Work Begins
- How to Get Insurance Funding for Your Roof Repairs after a Storm
- 4 Things You Can Do to Make Sure Your New Roof Won’t Fail - July 21, 2017
- 3 Things Not to Do When Hiring a Roofer - April 13, 2017
- To Repair or Replace Your Roof, That Is the Question - February 27, 2017
- Top 5 Problems for Homeowners and their Roofs during an Unrelenting Winter - February 13, 2017
- How Herb Lodde & Sons Does New Roof Construction and Installation [VIDEO] - January 24, 2017
- Removing Rooftop Ice and Snow with Salt - January 17, 2017
- Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing! - December 20, 2016
- 3 Tips to Help You Get Your Roof Ready for Winter - December 5, 2016
- Your Guide to Finding New Roofing - November 17, 2016
- 5 Tips for Maintaining a Flat or Low-Sloped Roof - October 28, 2016