Beware of This Common Roofing Scam – High Pressure Sales Tactics
Are you aware of the common roofing scams that many people fall victim to every year?
Your roof is one of the most important parts of your home – it keeps the elements out, it keeps your home’s structure intact, and it protects the things that matter most.
Whether you need a full roof replacement or just repairs after a storm, you’ll want to find a reliable roofing contractor who will do the job with care and attention to detail.
The unfortunate reality is that while most roofing contractors are honest and dependable, there will always be those looking to take advantage of unsuspecting homeowners. These scam artists, or ‘fly by nighters’, want nothing more than to take your money (and your neighbours’ money, too) and get out of town.
One of the common red flags you need to be on the lookout for is when a roofer or roofing company uses high pressure sales techniques to try and secure your business right then-and-there.
Remember: Reputable roofers have fair prices and good reputations – they aren’t afraid if you want to take your time to decide or compare different roofing companies.
How the Scam Works
You may schedule an appointment with this roofer or they may just show up at your door; either way, once you begin discussing the roofing job with them, they will offer you an unusually low rate or special deal … but only if you sign a contract before they leave.
This is a high pressure tactic that takes advantage of people’s natural tendency to want to not miss out on a deal. An exceptionally good offer makes homeowners want to get in on the savings, while the limited time frame creates scarcity and makes people afraid of missing out or letting the opportunity slip by.
This scam artist may even make false claims or mislead you in order to get you to sign the contract. They want to force you to commit before you can check up on them or get estimates from other roofing companies.
If you sign with roofers who use high pressure sales tactics, you may find out – too late – that even their “great deal” is more expensive than bids from other companies. Or, they may have cheaper prices but you realize through research that they cut corners and have generally poor workmanship.
By the time you realize you’ve been duped, it’s too late to back out of the contract.
How to Protect Yourself from This Scam
Many legitimate roofers offer deals, of course, but they shouldn’t make homeowners feel pressured into making a decision. Also, as we mentioned above, reputable roofers aren’t afraid if you want to check on their reputation first or shop around. They are comfortable in their expertise, customer service, and fair prices (remember: fair doesn’t mean cheap!).
Do not sign anything if you feel like the roofer is pressuring you. Do not trust roofers who tell you their special deal is only available if you sign a contract before they leave your home!
Do not give a large deposit on the work upfront (or worse yet, pay for the entire job before it’s been started!).
Instead, resist the high pressure sales tactics. After the roofer has given their estimate, explained their deal, or given their pitch, take the time to thoroughly research the company.
Do they have a physical location that you can visit? Do they have positive customer reviews and testimonials? Are they are accredited on the Better Business Bureau?
You can also get quotes from a few other roofing companies to compare the difference. If a roofing company has a significantly higher or lower price than the others, ask them why.
>> We’re trusted roofers with over 50 years of experience in Ontario. Quality, dependable roofing and customer satisfaction are our most important values. Get a free estimate on roof replacements.
Serving residential homeowners in Oakville, Burlington, Hamilton, St.Catharines, and the Niagara region.
Like this? You might also like:
- How to Get Insurance Funding for Your Roof Repairs after a Storm
- Does Your Home Have Any of These 5 Common Roofing Problems? [Infographic]
- Be Sure to Hire a Roofing Company that Engages in Safe Work
- Have You Crossed “Inspect the Roof” Off Your Spring To-Do List? - May 18, 2018
- Inspecting Your Roof for Damage Caused by High Winds - April 5, 2018
- 3 Reasons You Should Spring into Action When Getting a Roofing Estimate - April 4, 2018
- Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing! - December 21, 2017
- Thank You for Voting Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing the #1 Roofing Company in St. Catharines! - December 1, 2017
- Get Your Roof Ready for Winter with a Fall Roofing Checkup [Infographic] - November 10, 2017
- How to Choose the Perfect Shingles for Your Roof - September 13, 2017
- How Attic Insulation Keeps Your House Cool Throughout the Summer - August 31, 2017
- 4 Things You Can Do to Make Sure Your New Roof Won’t Fail - July 21, 2017
- 3 Things Not to Do When Hiring a Roofer - April 13, 2017