Beware of This Common Roofing Scam – A Large Deposit (Or Entire Payment!) Before the Roof Work Begins
Are you aware of the common roofing scams that many people fall victim to every year?
Your roof is one of the most important parts of your home – it keeps the elements out, it keeps your home’s structure intact, and it protects the things that matter most.
Whether you need a full roof replacement or just repairs after a storm, you’ll want to find a reliable roofing contractor who will do the job with care and attention to detail.
The unfortunate reality is that while most roofing contractors are honest and dependable, there will always be those looking to take advantage of unsuspecting homeowners. These scam artists, or ‘fly by nighters’, want nothing more than to take your money (and your neighbours’ money, too) and get out of town.
One of the common red flags you need to be on the lookout for is when the roofer asks for a large deposit upfront – or even the entire payment! Especially if they ask for it in cash.
Remember: Most reputable roofers won’t ask for more than 1/3 deposit for work to be completed. Don’t pay in advance!
How the Scam Works
The roofing contractor will claim that in order to replace or repair your roof, they need a large down payment or full payment upfront. They’ll tell you they need it to buy the materials or to pay the labourers, or something along those lines.
Then once you’ve paid them this amount, they’ll disappear without doing the work.
A variation on this scam involves your insurance company. If your roof was damaged by a storm, your homeowners insurance should help you pay for the repairs. In this case, the scammer gets you to sign over or cash the insurance cheque as the deposit.
Then – poof. Gone.
How to Protect Yourself from This Scam
Luckily, once you know about this scam it’s pretty easy to avoid.
Never pay a large deposit upfront. Never pay for the entire job upfront.
Always do a thorough check into the roofing company. Are they local? Can you find a physical office location where you would be able to find them if you had any problems? They’re unlikely to go poof if they’re a long-standing local company!
>> We’re trusted roofers with over 50 years of experience in Ontario. Quality, dependable roofing and customer satisfaction are our most important values. Get a free estimate on roof replacements.
Serving residential homeowners in Oakville, Burlington, Hamilton, St.Catharines, and the Niagara region.
Like this? You might also like:
- How Can I Find the Leak in My Roof?
- Know Your Rights before Signing with a Roofing Contractor in Ontario [Video]
- I’m Moving Soon! Should I Redo My Roof for Resale Value?
- Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing! - December 21, 2017
- Thank You for Voting Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing the #1 Roofing Company in St. Catharines! - December 1, 2017
- Get Your Roof Ready for Winter with a Fall Roofing Checkup [Infographic] - November 10, 2017
- How to Choose the Perfect Shingles for Your Roof - September 13, 2017
- How Attic Insulation Keeps Your House Cool Throughout the Summer - August 31, 2017
- 4 Things You Can Do to Make Sure Your New Roof Won’t Fail - July 21, 2017
- 3 Things Not to Do When Hiring a Roofer - April 13, 2017
- To Repair or Replace Your Roof, That Is the Question - February 27, 2017
- Top 5 Problems for Homeowners and their Roofs during an Unrelenting Winter - February 13, 2017
- How Herb Lodde & Sons Does New Roof Construction and Installation [VIDEO] - January 24, 2017