Beware of This Common Roofing Scam – A Large Deposit (Or Entire Payment!) Before the Roof Work Begins
Are you aware of the common roofing scams that many people fall victim to every year?
Your roof is one of the most important parts of your home – it keeps the elements out, it keeps your home’s structure intact, and it protects the things that matter most.
Whether you need a full roof replacement or just repairs after a storm, you’ll want to find a reliable roofing contractor who will do the job with care and attention to detail.
The unfortunate reality is that while most roofing contractors are honest and dependable, there will always be those looking to take advantage of unsuspecting homeowners. These scam artists, or ‘fly by nighters’, want nothing more than to take your money (and your neighbours’ money, too) and get out of town.
One of the common red flags you need to be on the lookout for is when the roofer asks for a large deposit upfront – or even the entire payment! Especially if they ask for it in cash.
Remember: Most reputable roofers won’t ask for more than 1/3 deposit for work to be completed. Don’t pay in advance!
How the Scam Works
The roofing contractor will claim that in order to replace or repair your roof, they need a large down payment or full payment upfront. They’ll tell you they need it to buy the materials or to pay the labourers, or something along those lines.
Then once you’ve paid them this amount, they’ll disappear without doing the work.
A variation on this scam involves your insurance company. If your roof was damaged by a storm, your homeowners insurance should help you pay for the repairs. In this case, the scammer gets you to sign over or cash the insurance cheque as the deposit.
Then – poof. Gone.
How to Protect Yourself from This Scam
Luckily, once you know about this scam it’s pretty easy to avoid.
Never pay a large deposit upfront. Never pay for the entire job upfront.
Always do a thorough check into the roofing company. Are they local? Can you find a physical office location where you would be able to find them if you had any problems? They’re unlikely to go poof if they’re a long-standing local company!
>> We’re trusted roofers with over 50 years of experience in Ontario. Quality, dependable roofing and customer satisfaction are our most important values. Get a free estimate on roof replacements.
Serving residential homeowners in Oakville, Burlington, Hamilton, St.Catharines, and the Niagara region.
Like this? You might also like:
- How Can I Find the Leak in My Roof?
- Know Your Rights before Signing with a Roofing Contractor in Ontario [Video]
- I’m Moving Soon! Should I Redo My Roof for Resale Value?
- Herb Lodde & Sons Is Proud to Be Baeumler Approved - August 19, 2019
- Does a New Roof Add Value to Your Home? - July 9, 2019
- Herb Lodde & Sons Wins 2019 Best of Award in Roofing from HomeStars! - March 13, 2019
- What You Need to Know about Winter Roof Replacements - February 7, 2019
- Merry Christmas from the Team at Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing - December 19, 2018
- Common Winter Roofing Problems: How You Can Identify, Fix, and Avoid Them - December 13, 2018
- Your Roof in a Storm: How You Can Protect One of Your Home’s Most Valuable Assets - October 17, 2018
- Shingle Warranties Explained - August 31, 2018
- When Is the Right Time to Replace a Roof in Canada - June 22, 2018
- Have You Crossed “Inspect the Roof” Off Your Spring To-Do List? - May 18, 2018
IS THERE SOMETHING YOU WOULD LIKE TO READ ABOUT?
Fill out the form on our request page to let us know questions you would like answered or topics you would like to read about!Submit Your Ideas