Beware of This Common Roofing Scam – The Door-to-Door Roofer
Are you aware of the common roofing scams that many people fall victim to every year?
Your roof is one of the most important parts of your home – it keeps the elements out, it keeps your home’s structure intact, and it protects the things that matter most.
Whether you need a full roof replacement or just repairs after a storm, you’ll want to find a reliable roofer who will do the job with care and attention to detail.
The unfortunate reality is that while most roofers are honest and dependable, there will always be those looking to take advantage of unsuspecting homeowners. These scam artists, or ‘fly by nighters’, want nothing more than to take your money (and your neighbours’ money, too) and get out of town.
One of the common red flags you need to be on the lookout for is when a “roofer” simply shows up at your door, offering a seemingly great deal.
Remember: Reputable roofers typically aren’t door-to-door salespeople; they will only come to your home if you’ve called their company and asked them to visit.
How the Scam Works
This door-to-door roofer will arrive, unexpectedly, and make you an unbelievable offer (like a free roof or insanely cheap roof repairs). They’ll often show up right after a bad storm – but sometimes they may show up for no reason at all.
This scam artist will try to swindle you with high pressure sales techniques and get you to commit to the “great deal” they’re presenting. Usually, they will pressure you to commit to free roof inspection right then and there.
Once up on your roof, the scammer will cause new damage to your roof, making it look like the storm caused more damage than it actually did. The scam artist’s end game is to convince your insurance company to fulfill a claim on your roof. The roofer will then fix or replace your roof and the insurance company will pay them.
Of course, if the insurance company notices anything is amiss with the damage, you, and not the roofer, will be out of luck (and out of pocket!).
Even if the insurance claim does go through, this isn’t a great situation for homeowners. You fail to get the full value from your roof, and your insurance company takes a record of the claim. You could end up paying higher insurance rates down the line or have a future (real) claim denied.
How to Protect Yourself from This Scam
Many legitimate roofers offer free roof inspections – but they don’t peddle them door-to-door! Any roofer who comes to your door out of the blue is not to be trusted.
Do not sign anything presented to you by a door-to-door roof salesperson. You must resist the high pressure sales techniques!
Do not even allow the person to inspect your roof for free, as they could use that as an opportunity to cause more damage.
Instead, once the salesperson has finished their pitch, take some time to research the company first. The rare legitimate roofing company may come door-to-door after a storm, but you need to be sure.
Find out if they have a physical location that you can visit. Check if they are accredited on the Better Business Bureau. Read customer reviews and testimonials.
>> We’re trusted roofers with over 50 years of experience in Ontario. Quality, dependable roofing and customer satisfaction are our most important values. Get a free estimate on roof replacements.
Serving residential homeowners in Oakville, Burlington, Hamilton, St.Catharines, and the Niagara region.
Like this? You might also like:
- Beware of This Common Roofing Scam – A Large Deposit (Or Entire Payment!) Before the Roof Work Begins
- Know Your Rights before Signing with a Roofing Contractor in Ontario [Video]
- Do I Need a Roof Replacement? 10 Failing Roof Signs Homeowners Need to Know
- 3 Things Not to Do When Hiring a Roofer - April 13, 2017
- To Repair or Replace Your Roof, That Is the Question - February 27, 2017
- Top 5 Problems for Homeowners and their Roofs during an Unrelenting Winter - February 13, 2017
- How Herb Lodde & Sons Does New Roof Construction and Installation [VIDEO] - January 24, 2017
- Removing Rooftop Ice and Snow with Salt - January 17, 2017
- Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing! - December 20, 2016
- 3 Tips to Help You Get Your Roof Ready for Winter - December 5, 2016
- Your Guide to Finding New Roofing - November 17, 2016
- 5 Tips for Maintaining a Flat or Low-Sloped Roof - October 28, 2016
- The Devil’s in the Details: Understanding a Roofing Contract - September 28, 2016