Avoid These 5 Mistakes When Choosing a Roofer
Do you need to replace your roof or have it repaired? Investing in your roof is a major expense. It’s important to make sure you do your research and choose a reputable, experienced contractor to complete the work.
For many homeowners, the options can seem daunting. Many individuals who call themselves professional roofers are actually “fly-by-night” contractors, swindling homeowners before disappearing. So how can you be sure you’re making the
When choosing a residential roofing contractor, make sure you avoid these common mistakes:
1. Not Researching the Roofing Company’s Reputation
It’s important to do your homework on the residential roofers you’re considering.
Make sure you pay attention to:
- Location: Beware of door-to-door roofers. A legitimate, well-established roofing company will have a physical location out of which they operate. If they give you a PO box, make sure you follow up and request their
- Read Customer Reviews: There’s no better barometer than the experiences of previous customers. Many residential roofing companies will post customer testimonials on their website, though you should also visit
third-party sources like HomeStars.
- Check out the Company’s Better Business Bureau (BBB) Rating: BBB’s database helps people find local, reputable businesses. A company’s BBB profile will include current and resolved complaints
and customer reviews.
2. Hiring an Unlicensed or Uninsured Roofer
If something goes wrong – whether your home suffers damage or a contractor is injured – you can be left on the hook if the company is uninsured.
A reputable residential roofing company should have:
- General Liability, which protects your home if a contractor damages it while completing work.
- Workers’ Compensation to provide coverage if a contractor is injured on the job.
Always check credentials as you’re doing your research to make sure you hire a qualified, licensed
3. Failing to Secure a Written Estimate
Be wary if a roofer doesn’t want to sign a contract in favour of an under-the-table cash payment.
A little saving early in the game can mean big problems down the road.
Always get all the necessary details – materials, labour, cost breakdowns, and what should happen if anything changes – in writing. This will guarantee your investment and help you compare quotes.
4. Not Getting a Warranty on Work Performed
Securing a good, comprehensive warranty is a smart decision. Reputable roofers who take pride in their work will offer a warranty to back it up and will offer advice on available manufacturers’ warranties like lifetime warranties on laminate shingles.
5. Making a Price-Based Decision
It’s crucial you don’t make a decision based purely on price. Although it’s important to weigh competing quotes against each other, your decision should ultimately be based on the quality of workmanship the contractor
A roof installation is a major investment. It’s important to make sure you choose to work with a reputable roofing contractor who can provide quality workmanship using high quality materials.
Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing has been providing quality roof replacements and repairs since 1964. We stand behind our workmanship and are committed to delivering superior results using the best materials. Contact us today to schedule your in-home consultation!
Like this? You might also like:
- Beware of This Common Roofing Scam – High Pressure Sales Tactics
- Beware of This Common Roofing Scam – Roofer Who Shows Up after a Storm
- Top 5 Spring Maintenance Tips for Your Residential Roof
- 3 Things Not to Do When Hiring a Roofer - April 13, 2017
- To Repair or Replace Your Roof, That Is the Question - February 27, 2017
- Top 5 Problems for Homeowners and their Roofs during an Unrelenting Winter - February 13, 2017
- How Herb Lodde & Sons Does New Roof Construction and Installation [VIDEO] - January 24, 2017
- Removing Rooftop Ice and Snow with Salt - January 17, 2017
- Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing! - December 20, 2016
- 3 Tips to Help You Get Your Roof Ready for Winter - December 5, 2016
- Your Guide to Finding New Roofing - November 17, 2016
- 5 Tips for Maintaining a Flat or Low-Sloped Roof - October 28, 2016
- The Devil’s in the Details: Understanding a Roofing Contract - September 28, 2016