How Attic Insulation Keeps Your House Cool Throughout the Summer
When people think of what the insulation in their attic does for them, most imagine a frigid winter evening. As the snow is whipping around outside, the insulation in their roof acts as their blanket, keeping the cold out and the warmth in.
But attic insulation is more than a wintertime friend. It’s an all-year ally, working through the summer to keep you and your home cool.
Keep reading to learn why the right insulation can be the key to keeping heat out in the summertime:
Why Does Attic Insulation Keep the Heat Away?
In essence, attic insulation minimizes the amount of heat that’s able to pass between the inside and outside of your home. During the winter you want your insulation to retain heat and make sure it stays inside, while during the summer it’s all about keeping the hot air out and the cool air in.
To really understand insulation, you need to know about the three types of heat:
- Conduction is when heat passes through materials, like when you accidentally leave a metal ladle resting on a hot pot of soup or a spoon in a cup of coffee.
- Convection happens when heat circulates through liquids or gases. It’s the reason why warmer air (which is lighter) rises, while the cooler and heavier air sinks.
- Radiant heat travels in straight lines and warms anything solid that’s in its way and ready absorb the energy. The sun produces this type of heat, as do many of the heat sources in our homes (like fireplaces and furnaces).
When the sun’s energy hits your roof, it transmits radiant heat. That heat travels by conduction into your attic as your roof becomes hot. If its passage isn’t slowed or reduced, it can cause the air inside your home to become warmer (convection).
This is where the insulation in your attic comes in, acting as a barrier to reduce the amount of heat that’s able to come in or leave.
What Are the Benefits of Replacing the Insulation in Your Attic before the Winter?
1. Easier Installation
The best time to address under-insulated spaces in your attic is when your roof is being worked on. After the shingles are removed, your roofer can strip off the sheet of plywood to ensure easy access for the necessary machines and tools, which means a cleaner and more cost effective installation for you.
Ideally, you want to schedule a roof replacement (or any other necessary work) during the spring, summer, or fall before the cold temperatures and challenging conditions typically hit. Problems, however, don’t always wait for good weather. If your roof or insulation needs attention in the wintertime, work with an experienced roofer to ensure they’re properly looked after.
2. Warmer Winter
Waiting for too long can leave your house exposed to the elements, which will make it cold and uncomfortable to be in. Ensuring you have the right insulation in place when you need it will help your house regulate its temperature all year round—helping it stay cozy in the winter and cool throughout the summer.
At Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing, we’re your installation experts for blown-in installation. Blown-in installation is tighter than other types of insulation, which makes it ideal for preventing unwanted airflow and sealing event hard-to-reach crevices and corners. Request your free estimate today!
Like this? You might also like:
- 3 Things Not to Do When Hiring a Roofer
- To Repair or Replace Your Roof, That is the Question
- 10 Questions to Ask Your Roofer Before You Hire Them
- Merry Christmas from the Team at Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing - December 19, 2018
- Common Winter Roofing Problems: How You Can Identify, Fix, and Avoid Them - December 13, 2018
- Your Roof in a Storm: How You Can Protect One of Your Home’s Most Valuable Assets - October 17, 2018
- Shingle Warranties Explained - August 31, 2018
- When Is the Right Time to Replace a Roof in Canada - June 22, 2018
- Have You Crossed “Inspect the Roof” Off Your Spring To-Do List? - May 18, 2018
- Inspecting Your Roof for Damage Caused by High Winds - April 5, 2018
- 3 Reasons You Should Spring into Action When Getting a Roofing Estimate - April 4, 2018
- Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing! - December 21, 2017
- Thank You for Voting Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing the #1 Roofing Company in St. Catharines! - December 1, 2017
IS THERE SOMETHING YOU WOULD LIKE TO READ ABOUT?
Fill out the form on our request page to let us know questions you would like answered or topics you would like to read about!Submit Your Ideas