5 Tips to Help Your Roof Withstand the Winter
Is your roof ready to withstand the stressors of winter?
Your roof is hugely important to your home’s structure. Roof problems can quickly become problems in a multitude of other areas – such as water damage or molding.
Take care of your roof now and minimize damage in the winter months.
To keep your roof in the best condition and avoid costly mid-winter repairs, you need to conduct a round of maintenance before the winter weather hits. If you do these tasks while the weather is still mild, you can save yourself trouble down the road.
Here are our top 5 roof maintenance tips for helping your roof stand up to the weather this winter:
1. Prevent Ice Dams
An ice dam occurs when your gutters are clogged. The gutter holds moisture and water, and when the cold weather comes, that moisture freezes. The ice can damage your roof over time as well as prevent snow from fully melting and running through the gutter.
You must make sure the gutters are clean and water can flow freely through them. This will reduce the number of ice dams forming and wreaking havoc on your home.
Proper attic venting and insulation also helps reduce ice dams, as warm air coming through your ceiling can cause snow to melt, run down the roof, and freeze – resulting in ice dams.
2. Fix Existing Leaks
Do you have leaks in the roof or the attic? Are any shingles damaged, cracked, or missing?
Find and fix any leaks. Investigate the roof for shingles that need to be replaced. Use a flashlight to examine the attic for signs of water stains or dripping.
Otherwise, moisture from the snow may get into your home and your heated air may leak out.
3. Check the Flashing
As well as damaged shingles, damaged flashing can be a culprit of leaks. Flashing connects the roof to other components, such as skylights, chimneys, windows, vents, and so on.
Inspect the flashing and ensure it is in good condition. If you need to replace the flashing, make sure it is properly installed or you will see more leaks in your home.
4. Look Inside and Outside for Sagging Roof Areas
Look at your roof line. Are any places bending or sagging?
What about from the inside of your home? Can you see the roof sagging inward when you are in the attic?
Typically, if your roof is sagging, you will need to bring in a professional roofing contractor to inspect the issue and recommend a solution. You also may need to have the roof’s framing structure assessed by a residential architect or framing carpenter.
This needs to be addressed before winter, as the extra weight of the snow and ice on your roof can make the problem worse.
5. Trim the Trees
Do you have trees touching your roof or overhanging branches?
The severe weather during winter months can cause branches to fall on your roof, which can lead to extensive damage in some cases.
Trim away tree limbs and branches that are touching your house or hanging over your roof.
Prepare Your Roof for Winter
Some homeowners will be able to complete part of the roof maintenance on their own. However, if you encounter anything difficult or dangerous – or that you just don’t know how to do yourself – you should call a professional roofing contractor to get the job done.
>> Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing are experienced, professional roofing contractors serving homeowners in Niagara, St. Catharines, Hamilton, Burlington, and Oakville. Contact us for help getting your roof ready for winter weather!
Like this? You might also like:
- 3 Fall Maintenance Tips for Your Home’s Exterior
- Don’t Get Scammed! Follow These 9 Tips when Hiring a Residential Roofing Contractor in Ontario
- Why is My Roof Leaking? 10 Common Causes of Roof Leaks
- Get Your Roof Ready for Winter with a Fall Roofing Checkup [Infographic] - November 10, 2017
- How to Choose the Perfect Shingles for Your Roof - September 13, 2017
- How Attic Insulation Keeps Your House Cool Throughout the Summer - August 31, 2017
- 4 Things You Can Do to Make Sure Your New Roof Won’t Fail - July 21, 2017
- 3 Things Not to Do When Hiring a Roofer - April 13, 2017
- To Repair or Replace Your Roof, That Is the Question - February 27, 2017
- Top 5 Problems for Homeowners and their Roofs during an Unrelenting Winter - February 13, 2017
- How Herb Lodde & Sons Does New Roof Construction and Installation [VIDEO] - January 24, 2017
- Removing Rooftop Ice and Snow with Salt - January 17, 2017
- Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing! - December 20, 2016