5 Problems with a Leaky Roof and How to Avoid Them
Have you noticed stains on the ceilings and walls inside your house? Does your roof have damaged, missing, or rotted shingles? Does it appear to be sagging anywhere? If the answer to any of those questions is yes, you might have a leaky roof on your hands!
Check out these five problems leaking roofs can cause and how you can avoid them:
1. Damage to Attics and Ceilings
If your house has an attic, it will likely be the first area to fall victim to a leaky roof. The water will start by affecting any belongings stored there – whether they suffer direct water damage or become moldy due to being kept in a damp environment.
After invading your attic, water will slowly seep down and cause damage to your walls and ceilings.
Make sure you keep an eye out for:
- Discoloured, bubbling, or peeling paint or plaster on ceilings and walls.
- Damage to lights and fans mounted on the ceiling.
- Unexplained drips and puddles on your floors.
It’s important to work with an experienced home contractor to assess and repair any damages before they get worse.
2. Growth of Mold and Mildew
Mold and mildew are more long-term side effects of a leaky roof, as they take time to develop. If left unattended, they can spread throughout your home – even into the HVAC system.
If not addressed promptly, mold and mildew can fester and cause health problems including:
- Nasal congestion and inflammation.
- Skin irritations.
The most common type of mold caused by chronic leakage is black mold. It’s usually benign, but in rare cases it can be toxic. If you find toxic black mold in your home, you should never try to remove it yourself. Always work with a professional mold removal company to get rid of it safely.
3. Fire Hazards
If water comes into contact with electrical wiring, it can create an open circuit which could lead to a fire. It can also be dangerous if water seeps around uncovered wires or metal junction boxes, giving anyone who comes into contact with them a nasty shock.
If you find leaks around your home – whether from your roof or elsewhere – make sure you shut off power to circuits running through affected areas and call a professional electrician to resolve the issue.
4. High Utility Bills
If your energy bills are going through the roof, it might be because water is coming in.
If left unchecked, a leaky roof will damage the insulation in your attic. Water-saturated insulation takes a long time to dry out and can actually deplete over time if it stays wet constantly. Repairing roof leaks early can prevent costly damage and keep your energy bills in check.
5. Structural Deterioration
One of the biggest challenges for homeowners dealing with a leaking roof is the potential for structural damage.
Watch out for telltale signs of trouble including:
- Rotting wood.
- Parts of the roof sagging or losing strength.
- Bowing walls.
- Waterlogged, spongy foundations.
If you suspect issues, contact an experienced home contractor to inspect your house and undertake any necessary repairs.
How to Avoid a Leaky Roof
The key to keeping your roof free of leaks and in good health is proper maintenance:
- Ensure chimneys, skylights, and other potentially vulnerable spots are adequately sealed.
- Make sure none of your plumbing vents are cracked.
- Keep your gutters clean and clear of debris.
- Inspect the nails on your roof to confirm they aren’t rusted.
- Replace any cracked, curling, or damaged shingles.
If you want to have your roof inspected, work with an experienced roofer who will be able to provide guidance on any repairs you need to make to keep your roof looking and performing its best.
At Herb Lodde and Sons, our experienced roofers have been providing roofing services to homeowners across Southern Ontario for over 50 years. Contact us today to schedule your free in-home estimate!
Like this? You might also like:
- 5 Tips for Keeping Animals Out of Your Attic
- Avoid These 5 Mistakes When Choosing a Roofer
- Beware of This Common Roofing Scam – Lowest Bid
- 3 Things Not to Do When Hiring a Roofer - April 13, 2017
- To Repair or Replace Your Roof, That Is the Question - February 27, 2017
- Top 5 Problems for Homeowners and their Roofs during an Unrelenting Winter - February 13, 2017
- How Herb Lodde & Sons Does New Roof Construction and Installation [VIDEO] - January 24, 2017
- Removing Rooftop Ice and Snow with Salt - January 17, 2017
- Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing! - December 20, 2016
- 3 Tips to Help You Get Your Roof Ready for Winter - December 5, 2016
- Your Guide to Finding New Roofing - November 17, 2016
- 5 Tips for Maintaining a Flat or Low-Sloped Roof - October 28, 2016
- The Devil’s in the Details: Understanding a Roofing Contract - September 28, 2016