10 Signs Your Home’s Siding Needs to Be Replaced
Do you ever really think about your home’s siding? Do you inspect it for wear and tear?
Siding protects your residential home from the elements, just like your roof does! It also makes a first impression on your guests and passers-by and gives your home part of its personality.
You need your siding to perform well – otherwise, you could wind up with hidden interior damage to your home. If your siding is damaged and worn, you’ll want to address it right away. If it’s a minor problem, repairs might cut it. But if the trouble is serious, you may need to replace the siding before the problem gets worse.
What are the top signs that your siding may be due for a replacement?
1. Siding Is Peeling, Cracking, or Loose
Does your siding look worn out? Is it peeling, cracking, or loose?
If only a few sections are showing these signs, you may be able to do some repairs and just replace the affected siding.
However, if large sections are damaged, you can bet water and air are leaking into your home. There may be more damage underneath the siding.
2. Siding Is Rotting or Warping
Rotting and warping are even more obvious signs of moisture getting through your siding and possibly into your home. If you don’t deal with this, you may see mold or mildew in the near future!
Poke rotting or warping siding with a screwdriver to see how soft it is. If it’s becoming soft, it needs a replacement, fast.
3. Siding Requires Frequent Repainting
Do you find you need to repaint your home every few years? If your siding needs a paint job more than once every decade, something is wrong. This can be a warning sign that there’s a deeper problem at work.
Of course, if you have quality vinyl siding, you’ll never have to worry about fading paint and lacklustre colour. Vinyl siding keeps its vibrant colour for decades.
4. Siding Has Bubbles under the Surface
This is a sure-fire sign that your house needs a siding replacement.
It is your siding’s job to keep moisture out. Bubbles mean water is trapped under the siding and the siding isn’t doing its job.
5. Water Stains
Water stains are cause for concern. A water stain looks like a streak of discoloration on your siding. It could mean water has found its way through your siding.
6. Holes in the Siding
Any holes in your siding, even small ones, are bad news.
Insects usually cause them. So, either the insects are causing trouble under your siding on their own, or they’ve opened the way for rain and moisture. Either way, maintenance is required.
7. Mold, Mildew, or Fungus Is Growing on the Siding
See mold, mildew, or fungus on your siding? Is it just on the surface or has it worked its way in? Is it near the siding’s seams?
You need to investigate this further and ensure it is dealt with. It might be an external issue only – or it might require a siding replacement and damage-control in the walls.
8. Dry Rot in the Siding
Dry rot hides under the surface of your siding, destroying the bulk of the material underneath but leaving the outside intact. Your siding might look perfectly normal, but you could have major dry rot going on out of eyesight.
Tapping on your home’s siding with a hard tool, like your screwdriver handle, will expose weak spots from dry rot. If you find dry rot, you need to act quickly.
9. Paint or Wallpaper inside Your Home Is Peeling or Loose
If you’re experiencing problems inside your home, it can mean moisture has filtered far inside your siding and wallboards. Your interior walls can be seriously damaged if this is left for too long.
Alternatively, interior moisture could be the result of a problem with your roof, plumbing, or HVAC, so be sure to assess all potential culprits.
10. High Energy Bills
If you start seeing high heating and cooling costs, your siding could be to blame. Get an inspection to find out whether it’s your roof, your siding, your insulation, or another issue.
Regularly inspecting and maintaining your siding is just a good idea. Keep your home’s exterior in good shape and you’ll protect the interior too. Be sure to fix damage as soon as you notice it; don’t leave it to fester and turn into a more complicated and costly problem.
Serving homeowners in Niagara, St. Catharines, Hamilton, Burlington, and Oakville.
Like this? You might also like:
- How Your Home’s Siding Can Be a Great Investment
- Why is My Roof Leaking? 10 Common Causes of Roof Leaks
- I’m Moving Soon! Should I Redo My Roof for Resale Value?
- 3 Things Not to Do When Hiring a Roofer - April 13, 2017
- To Repair or Replace Your Roof, That Is the Question - February 27, 2017
- Top 5 Problems for Homeowners and their Roofs during an Unrelenting Winter - February 13, 2017
- How Herb Lodde & Sons Does New Roof Construction and Installation [VIDEO] - January 24, 2017
- Removing Rooftop Ice and Snow with Salt - January 17, 2017
- Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing! - December 20, 2016
- 3 Tips to Help You Get Your Roof Ready for Winter - December 5, 2016
- Your Guide to Finding New Roofing - November 17, 2016
- 5 Tips for Maintaining a Flat or Low-Sloped Roof - October 28, 2016
- The Devil’s in the Details: Understanding a Roofing Contract - September 28, 2016