Why is My Roof Leaking?
When it comes to the integrity of your house, few things are more important than your roof. Your roof protects the interior of your home from the elements – including rain, snow, and wind – and also has a significant impact on the visual appeal of your property. While you probably don’t spend a whole lot of time thinking about your roof, the very first sign of a roof leak should redirect your focus and attention.
Warning Signs of a Roof Leak
A roof, like any part of your home’s construction, gets old over time and can become compromised with age. Your roof is also directly exposed to the elements, which makes it susceptible to damage from hail, debris, or even heavy wind. Whether through old age or isolated damage, roofs often develop leaks. Here are some of the warning signs that yours is leaking and may need a roof repair:
- Do you see water stains on the ceiling or in your attic? If you notice any sort of discoloration – particularly if it’s combined with mold or mildew – this is a telltale sign of a leak.
- Buckling or missing shingles could be a sign that the roof is compromised and that water is passing beneath and into the deck of the roof.
- If you go up into your attic, look up, and can see daylight – or the presence of light – this is a sign there’s a leak.
- Damaged flashing is a sign that your roof could be leaking, or that it’s highly susceptible to future leaking.
The Dangers of Waiting
At first, a roof leak may not seem like a big deal. However, not addressing it immediately could create major problems like:
- Electrical damage – moisture in the ceiling and walls can come into contact with electrical wiring and outlets
- Mold and mildew in attic, walls, or ceiling
- Increased roof damage
- Reduced insulation efficiency
- Serious water damage and/or flooding
These are just a few of the most common side effects of waiting too long to address a leak. Most of these issues can be avoided by acting with urgency.
Contact a Reputable Roof Repair Company
If you have a roof leak, you need to contact a reputable roof repair company immediately. At Herb Lodde & Sons, our experienced roofers provide expert roof replacements for homeowners in Burlington, St. Catharines, Oakville, Hamilton, Niagara, and the surrounding areas. Our company has more than 50 years of experience in the area, and our work is guaranteed with a 10-year warranty.
Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing has been providing quality roof replacements and repairs since 1964. We stand behind our workmanship and are committed to delivering superior results using the best materials. Contact us today to schedule your in-home consultation!
Like this article? You might also enjoy:
- Herb Lodde & Sons Is Proud to Be Baeumler Approved
- Does a New Roof Add Value to Your Home?
- What You Need to Know About Winter Roof Replacements
- How to Get Financial Assistance for a Roof Replacement - February 26, 2020
- Merry Christmas from Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing - December 18, 2019
- Why is My Roof Leaking? - October 28, 2019
- Herb Lodde & Sons Is Proud to Be Baeumler Approved - August 19, 2019
- Does a New Roof Add Value to Your Home? - July 9, 2019
- Herb Lodde & Sons Wins 2019 Best of Award in Roofing from HomeStars! - March 13, 2019
- What You Need to Know about Winter Roof Replacements - February 7, 2019
- Merry Christmas from the Team at Herb Lodde & Sons Roofing - December 19, 2018
- Common Winter Roofing Problems: How You Can Identify, Fix, and Avoid Them - December 13, 2018
- Your Roof in a Storm: How You Can Protect One of Your Home’s Most Valuable Assets - October 17, 2018
IS THERE SOMETHING YOU WOULD LIKE TO READ ABOUT?
Fill out the form on our request page to let us know questions you would like answered or topics you would like to read about!Submit Your Ideas